Thursday, August 25, 2011

Juan Mata says Fernando Torres helped seal £23.5m transfer to Chelsea

Juan Mata has completed his transfer from Valencia to Chelsea and immediately revealed that his Spain team-mate Fernando Torres influenced his decision to move to Stamford Bridge. Mata has signed a five-year contract after Chelsea paid a reported £23.5m for the forward, a member of Spain's World Cup-winning squad.



"When [Torres] knew they were interested in signing me, he spoke with me and told me that playing abroad could be a very nice step for me," Mata said. "It's a new endeavour in my life, to develop personally and professionally. So I think I took the most logical decision."



The 23-year-old Mata, who could make his debut at home to Norwich on Saturday, believes he will suit the style of play favoured by the Chelsea manager, André Villas-Boas. "He said he wanted Chelsea to play more attacking football this season, and that I would be a big part of that," Mata said.



"Villas-Boas is someone who won almost everything last year and we are both here with the idea of winning lots this season. The plan is that I can play on either flank or even in the middle playing in between the lines of midfield and attack. I like to keep the ball and use it well, I am an attacking player and above all I like to set up goals and score them also."



Mata said he "never imagined himself leaving" Valencia but only agreed as the offer was too good for the Spanish club to pass up. "I spoke with [president] Manuel Llorente since I wanted to know if the offer was a good help for the club in economic terms," said Mata, who captained Valencia last season. "I came in at zero cost and I leave a lot of money behind."



Mata becomes the third Spaniard to join Chelsea this year, following the £50m purchase of Torres in January and Oriol Romeu, who arrived from Barcelona earlier this month.



"Right from the first moment there have been good feelings all around me," Mata told the official Chelsea website after training with his new team-mates for the first time on Wednesday. "Training has been great and the players are a great group to train with. Valencia was a big club anyway but I have left to join a bigger club and it is all about the opportunity to win trophies and I have that here."



Guardian

Sonic Run: Internet Search Engine
Google PageRank Checker Powered by  MyPagerank.NetYahoo bot last visit powered by MyPagerank.NetMsn bot last visit powered by MyPagerank.Net Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free My Ping in TotalPing.com
Feedage Grade B rated
Preview on Feedage: sport Add to My Yahoo! Add to Google! Add to AOL! Add to MSN
Subscribe in NewsGator Online Add to Netvibes Subscribe in Pakeflakes Subscribe in Bloglines Add to Alesti RSS Reader
Add to Feedage.com Groups Add to Windows Live iPing-it Add to Feedage RSS Alerts Add To Fwicki